I'm all for a good sewing challenge, but not necessarily on a project that has a deadline coming up. This blouse project was already complicated enough.
This pattern already needed to be resized. But add on top of that that one pattern piece was missing. So not only did I need to copy the pieces to resize and preserve the original, I also needed to manufacture a piece for the peter pan collar.
But I didn't end up need to manufacture the collar after all. I ended up photocopying a diagram of the collar piece on the instruction sheet and enlarging it several times. I wasn't sure whether it would work in practice. But it did! I didn't need to do any modifications to it at all. (Minus the fact that I forgot to put the neck darts in, but oh well.) :)
The test muslin worked up pretty well. The resizing was accomplished and there are no major issues. My pleats could be straighter, and the shoulders were way to wide, but nothing extremely troublesome. Besides leaving the neck darts out, I also left out the shaping darts that were to be placed from the waist down to the hip. It made it a little tight for me, and since this blouse is meant to be tucked in, the bloused affect would still happen, just without the darts.
This picture is after I had finished attaching the lace to the pleats. It took me a few hours just to get the pleats put in and the lace attached. I wanted to be sure that the pleats were fairly straight and even.
I decided to stitch my seams at 1/2 inch as instructed. To finish off the seam allowances I did a sort of faux French seam. I turned the raw edges inward and whip stitched the top. I did this on all of the exposed seams, armholes included. I really didn't want to use the serger to finish all the seams, but I did want a nice clean finish. I think this worked pretty well.
I used buttons from the stash, and they don't exactly match. At some point I will replace them with matching true white buttons and actually have all seven on there. The pattern called for five with snaps below the waist, but I wanted to be able to wear it without tucking it in as well as tucked in. I interfaced the back closure with white muslin.
I used Simplicity 4556, with view 4 as my inspiration. The fabric I used was a white gauze dotted Swiss that I bought specially for this project. The buttons and muslin were from the stash, and I specially bought the lace. The amount of lace required for this project seemed rather extravagant (eight yards) considering the rationing of World War II, but lace was not a rationed item.
Sarah loves to sew, learn more about sewing, and create items with a vintage flair. Her arch enemy is clipping curves, and she has a tolerable relationship with the seam ripper.
Visit me on Etsy
My Favorite Links
The Boyer Sisters
Emily's Vintage Visions
Mode De Lis